Cost & Scholarships
The cost of the online course, through this Shaping Outcomes project, is $150 per participant (payable in U.S. funds). One person can lead a team at his/her home institution; the instructor will communicate directly with the lead participant.
There are full scholarships available for up to 30% of course participants. No individual financial information is required to qualify for a scholarship. Assistance is based on two things:
- The Community or Institution-Based Need: The applicant’s institution should demonstrate that it serves needy populations. This can take any of the following forms:
- For school librarians, working in a school or system where at least 30% of the students receive free or reduced price lunches.
- For academic librarians, working in a college or university in which at least 30% of the student body receives Pell grants.
- For public librarians, working in a library or library system whose service population area (or the city or the county) has an average income at 70% of the state median or less as reported in the 2000 Census or later data.
- For special librarians, working in an organization which has a demonstrated component of service to economically disadvantaged clients (e.g. pro bono work for law firms, charity work for hospitals).
- For museums, deliberate and substantial outreach to low-income populations.
- The individual’s commitment as reflected in a project proposal:
- Applicants should describe a library or museum (or partnership) project for which an outcomes-based approach to design would be useful, and which they will work on during the course. The project need not be grant-funded; it should be realistic but need not be an actual existing project.
- The requirement for a project description is to promote scholarship recipients' commitment to the course. Applicants can discuss project ideas with Shaping Outcomes staff.